When you compare a truck accident with another type of motor vehicle accident, you’ll soon realize truck accidents have more serious consequences. These cases can get quite complicated, often involving multiple parties that may or may not be at fault. Individuals and families who have been impacted by a truck accident need representation from a truck accident attorney with experience handling these very issues in Billings, MT.
Choosing RMK for Your Truck Accident
At RMK, we provide the same sophisticated and in-depth legal services you’d find in a large law firm, but provide those services with attention to detail only a small firm can offer. Some other reasons we’re your first choice for a truck accident lawyer in Billings include:
- We offer affordable services without any sacrifice in quality.
- We have lawyers who are Montana natives, so they understand the unique issues and legal challenges you face.
- Our attorneys’ legal experience spans over a collective 40 years.
- We represent anyone from the typical Montana citizen to Fortune 500 companies, making our experience varied and complete.
Why Truck Accidents Are So Common
If you’ve been involved in an accident, it’s important you understand whether it was an actual truck accident, or is just considered a car accident. In these scenarios, trucks refer to big rigs, tractor-trailers, semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, dump trucks, tow trucks, delivery trucks, refrigerated trucks, box trucks, and other similar vehicles.
The weather and landscape of Montana pose a unique risk for these trucks and have been determined as some of the causes of truck accidents, though the percentages are low. Unfamiliarity with the terrain in Billings, MT, can also be the cause of these accidents, as can a variety of other issues, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration in 2017.
Some other causes include:
- Decision – This is when the truck driver made a conscious decision to drive too fast, follow too closely, turn in front of another vehicle, or other similar decisions. This made up 38% of truck accidents.
- Non-Performance – When the driver fails to perform correctly due to physical limitations such as heart attack, seizure and even falling asleep at the wheel, it’s considered non-performance.
- Performance – This is when a driver overcompensates, panics, or exercises poor directional control, resulting in an accident. 9% of truck accidents were due to performance.
- Recognition – 28% of truck accidents in 2017 were due to recognition, which is when a driver gets distracted, observes a situation incorrectly, or becomes inattentive for one reason or another.
- Vehicle – Vehicle parts fail due to wear and tear manufacturer defects, and a variety of other reasons. Vehicle failure caused 10% of truck accidents.
After a truck accident in Billings, MT, you’re going to have questions. As your truck accident law firm, we’ve got answers.
- Who might be responsible for a truck accident? – It’s not always the truck driver. We’ll seek liability with the driver’s employer, the truck owner, the truck maintenance shop, and/or the truck manufacturer.
- How long do I have to file a lawsuit? – The truck accident statute of limitations in Montana is three years, so we’ll have that amount of time to collect evidence, put a case together, and get it filed.
- How long do truck accident cases take? – Every truck accident has its own unique set of circumstances, so your case could take a few months up to a few years. The number of involved parties, the complexity of the case, and some other issues will impact this time frame.
- What types of damages can I seek? – If you were injured in a truck accident, you could seek damages such as medical costs, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
- Is my case worth pursuing? – In most cases, yes, but there are those rare cases that aren’t worth pursuing. To determine the worth of your case, we’ll look at your medical bills, property damage, disfigurement, emotional trauma, lost wages, future medical care, loss of enjoyment of life, and a variety of other consequences from the accident.
Contact Us Today for More Information
You deserve proper compensation after being injured in a truck accident in Billings, MT. Contact your truck accident lawyer today at RMK Law Firm. Call us at (406) 601-1400 or fill in our form and we’ll get in touch.
Photo credit: Vadim Ratnikov/shutterstock.com