Covering more than 147,000 square miles, it almost goes without saying that environmental resources are vitally important in Montana. The state is home to some 100 mountain ranges, the headwaters of the Missouri River, and the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi (Flathead Lake), just to name a few. On a smaller scale, property owners—individuals and businesses alike—have a keen interest in protecting their interests from environmental harm.
Sometimes environmental harm is readily apparent, as in the case of obvious contamination or a fire. Other times, it may be undiscovered for years. Either way, protecting your rights may involve navigating complex regulatory schemes or engaging in litigation. Whether you are an individual or company dealing with environmental issues, Ritchie Manning Kautz can help. In fact, one of our lawyers was named 2020 Lawyer of the Year in environmental litigation for Billings, Montana by Best Lawyers and our firm is included in U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Law Firms for environmental litigation.
Some of our experience includes:
- Work on Clean Air Act litigation involving a coal plant.
- Work on litigation involving an oil spill impacting individual landowners.
- Representing a local business owner whose property was contaminated by chemical dumping.
- Litigation involving extensive damage to businesses and property caused by an explosion due to a power company’s negligence.
- Multiple cases involving fire damage to individuals’ and businesses’ property.